The providers acting in the market offer different options of data storage: VPS and VDS (Virtual Private Server and Virtual Dedicated Server - the virtual private and allocated servers), dedicated servers, hosting or rent of disk space. The latter solution is considered the most budgetary and suitable for small web projects. However, hosts have not only advantages, but also a number of limitations that need to be remembered by choosing this way of storing data.
Virtual hosting is part of the memory of one server, on which thousands of different websites can be stored. Their owners will have access to the same software packages. Rental services are in high demand among owners of small websites, which is explained by a number of important advantages that hosting provides.
- Easy to use. The web project owner will not have to administer and maintain the disk containing the databases.
- Improve system performance. Servers have uninterrupted access to storage devices, which ensures stable operation of different applications.
- Fast backup time. Disk capacity is already optimized, which also accelerates replication and migration of the necessary data.
Virtual hosting from the point of view of the administrator works approximately the same as VPS, but only approximately. In the second case, the administrator gets more options, for example, he can install his own software, configure security and backup systems himself, and also has full access to server settings.
In addition to virtual hosting, the owner of the web project can rent cloud disk space. This means that the capacity of not one, but several servers will be used to ensure the operation of the website.
Hosting is good as it is inexpensive and offers all the necessary functionality for large projects. However, as we grow, we may face a number of challenges.
- Data transfer. If the web project needs to "move" to another hosting or dedicated server, it will be necessary to copy the existing information and relocate it to new storage devices. You need to do this carefully and precisely, as often individual files are simply lost.
- Software limitations. Hosting does not allow you to install your own software for specific business needs, which can negatively affect the development of the company's IT infrastructure.
It is important to remember that the quality of the servers on which the disk space is leased depends on the stability of the operation of the commercial site itself. That is why you need to responsibly choose a provider that provides disk space rental.
There are 4 key points to consider when renting disk space. They are:
- available volume;
- technical support;
- level of technical support;
- ratio of the price and content of services.
Let’s consider each of these factors in more detail.
For a small business card site or commercial one pager (landing page), 30-60 MB is enough. If the web project is to store libraries or databases, you should focus on 100 MB or more. For sites that offer users the ability to download their content, the desired amount of hosting is determined individually, as it depends on the characteristics of the project.
Providers typically offer an identical set of services for all web projects hosted on the host. Most often, you have access to the following tools:
- backup-copy making;
- support of popular CMS (Joomla, Drupal, 1C Bitrix, WordPress);
- access to mail accounts;
- unlimited traffic;
- ability to connect scripts and databases;
- support of MySQL, PHP, Parser, Python, PERL, SSH access and other popular technologies;
- FTP Web Resource Access.
The range of technical capabilities offered by different providers may vary, so you need to select hosting according to the specifics of the work of a particular website.
Not only the level of service quality is important, but also constant technical support. A good provider is required to monitor its servers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to ensure that possible problems are resolved quickly. It is important that the owner of the hosted web project is provided with information protection against loss and hacking. In addition, the provider can offer administrative assistance, which will also facilitate further maintenance of the website.
You can find out how adequate is the established cost of hosting by using the free trial period. After it, you will be able to study the available functionality and understand whether the company's approach to pricing is rational. DEAC fully comply with stated quality requirements. The European data centre operator offers a wide range of services for doing business in an online environment and scaling IT infrastructure. Here you can order the rent of disk space in different geographical locations with regulated jurisdiction.
Hosting is a good solution for storing small web projects. However, if you plan to expand the business and its IT infrastructure, with subsequent scaling, difficulties may arise, and then you will have to look for new solutions. For example, cloud hosting provides high performance, and you only pay for the resources you use. If the project has grown to a large-scale, demanding more resources, then you can rent a separate server in the data centre. The client can also have its own server, which can be placed in the data centre and forget about all the concerns associated with its maintenance. Thus, choosing a reliable partner at the beginning of work, you make a good start for the future - your provider will accompany your business as it develops.